- in GUIDES
Looking for a pair of headphones that suits your active lifestyle? Neckband headphones offer the convenience of conventional headphones without the hassle of having to deal with tangled and intrusive wires. These headphones typically come in two varieties namely in-ear and on-ear.
While a variety of headphones can be used for working out at the gym or when you head out on those long runs, neckband headphones add that little extra comfort alongside a generally longer battery life and high level of noise isolation.
This article will look at each type of neckband headphones as well as their benefits. We'll also explain the thinking behind neckband headphones as well as address how to wear behind the neck headphones.
Benefits of Neckband Headphones
Firstly, it's always helpful to understand how neckband headphones operate and the benefits that come along with them. Choosing between the two types though is simply a case of personal preference.
Some of the more prominent benefits of neckband headphones are:
- As opposed to larger over or on-ear headphones, neckband headphones don't apply any pressure to your head itself, which makes them very easy and comfortable to wear for more extended periods.
- Not using earcups, these headphones allow your ears to stay cool throughout their use.
- Since neckband headphones can sit and rest around your neck when not in use, you can easily access them in case you need to use them again.
- The majority of neckband headphones also utilize Bluetooth connectivity for wireless usage. This allows you to walk away from your desk without worrying about being tethered to your PC and are easier to put away than conventional earbud headphones since you don't have to worry about the wires getting tangled.
- The remote that comes with the headphones is designed to be quickly and easily accessible since most of the time, it is conveniently placed on or integrated into the neckband.
- Thanks to the design of neckband headphones, they typically have a longer battery life than wireless headphones of a similar level.
- The higher-end models feature smart technology that lets the headphones to be paired with multiple devices, allowing it to send notifications of any incoming calls or messages.
In-Ear Neckband Headphones Benefits
- In-ear neckband headphones have significantly higher levels of noise isolation capabilities, which will provide a more immersive and uninterrupted experience.
- In-ear neckband headphones are more secure than on- or over-ear headphones as they snuggly fit within the ear itself.
- Different sizes of earbuds can be used to help you find the best fit for your ears.
On-Ear Neckband Headphones Benefits
- On-ear neckbands are greatly suited to work in very noisy environments as they have reduced noise isolation, so you're still able to hear any important information from external sources.
- The main unit is supported by your shoulders as opposed to your head, unlike other on-ear headphones.
Wearing Neckband Headphones
Here are the steps on how to wear behind the neck headphones:
- Each of the earbuds should have a label, which is either the letter "L" (left) or "R" (right). Hold your headphones in a way that the "R" earbud is on your right side and the "L" earbud is on your left.
- After which, lift the headphones and place the earbuds over your head and let the earbuds rest on the appropriate ear. Also, make sure that the cord sits perfectly behind your neck and head while the cables lie behind your ears.
- Adjust the earbuds to make sure that it fits perfectly, and then tighten the cables to achieve a snug fit.
That's it! You're done! As simple as it may sound though, there are some things you might want to take into consideration.
Firstly, for those of you who wear neckband headphones but don't want to use those that have a solid brace, you'll want to make sure that they come with some form of a clip that allows you to secure them to the collar of your top, as this will help to prevent any unwanted drops. These types of headphones are also better suited for active events such as running or going to the gym as they won't bounce up and down on your shoulders and are more lightweight.
Wearing solid neckband headphones are great if you need a pair of practical headphones that you'll be wearing for long periods of time on the go. This makes them great for long trips or wearing around the office. These headphones simply rest on your shoulders while the earbuds are placed into your ears or over your ears.
In some of the higher end models, the earphones retract into the solid body further lessening the freedom for cables to get tangled.
Wrapping Things Up
Behind-the-neck or neckband headphones are easy to wear even if it is your first time. Nonetheless, the importance of wearing them properly cannot be taken for granted since corrected fitted headphones will make sure that you would be comfortable, especially if you are doing physical activities while wearing them.
That said, neckband headphones are great in an array of circumstances, but make sure you buy the correct type that best suits the activities that you're likely to be participating in. They are extremely convenient and great for those who hate having cables all over the place.
These headphones will certainly do you right, but if you're looking for something that offers a bit more comfort over practicality, then you may want to take a look at some on-ear or over-ear headphones. These offer substantial padding as well as a fantastic audio experience.